Coronavirus restrictions relaxations confirmed
The Welsh Government has confirmed changes to the coronavirus restrictions in Wales from Monday 3 May.
On the 23 April, the First Minister announced potential further easing of the rules if the public health condition continued to improve.
From Monday 3 May:
- Gyms, fitness facilities, leisure centres, spas and swimming pools can reopen;
- Extended households will be possible, allowing two households to come together to form an exclusive bubble who can meet and have contact indoors;
- Organised children’s indoor activities can recommence, such as sporting, cultural and wider recreational groups and clubs. Children’s birthday parties, or wider gatherings of families and friends in private homes are still not allowed;
- Organised indoor activities for adults can also recommence for up to 15 people, including, exercise classes and swimming lessons;
- Community Centres can reopen.
This means Wales will have completed the move to Alert Level 3 by 3 May.
First Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford said:
“The public health situation continues to improve and our vaccination programme remains a success. Thanks to the efforts of people across Wales, we are in a position to further ease the restrictions, in the way we have previously signalled, to allow more elements of normal life to return.
“However, the virus has not gone away. We all still need to take those vitally important steps, that we are now all so familiar with, to protect ourselves and each other from this dreadful virus – by self-isolating if we have symptoms, by taking up the offer of a covid vaccine, washing our hands regularly, wearing a face covering in enclosed public spaces, following social distancing rules, limiting the number of people we meet socially outdoors, and only meeting with those we live with indoors.
“By working together, by following these rules, the quicker we will return to normality. Together, we will continue to keep Wales safe.”
The next review of the coronavirus restrictions is due by 13 May.