Digital NHS COVID Pass available in Wales for urgent travel
People living in Wales who have received the Covid vaccine will be able to access their vaccination status via the internet from today [25 June] to generate an NHS COVID Pass for urgent outbound international travel.
Vaccine certificates have been available in Wales since May for those who need to urgently travel internationally and provide proof of their vaccination status, with certificates being sent in the post. The paper certificates will continue to be issued only for people who are unable to access the digital Pass. Access to the NHS COVID Pass in Wales means that proof of vaccination will be available for people to show on their phone, tablet or laptop.
Covid vaccination status is available if you:
- Have had the COVID-19 vaccine
- Were vaccinated in Wales
- Are aged 16 or over
The digital pass will show if you have been vaccinated against Covid, although you will still need to check entry requirements for the country you intend to visit such as number of vaccination doses, testing and isolation, and will still need to follow travel rules such as pre-departure testing.
Your Covid vaccination status can be viewed online on the NHS COVID Pass website, where you can either download or print it as a PDF document. This is the only valid digital vaccination status available; any alternative services claiming to offer proof of vaccine status for a fee are not legitimate.
Health Minister Eluned Morgan said:
"I’m pleased that people in Wales can now access their vaccination status via the NHS COVID Pass if they need to travel urgently and have completed their vaccine course.
“It’s important to remember that the Welsh Government advice on travel hasn’t changed, and people should only consider international travel if absolutely essential.”
People in Wales can now access their vaccination status on their phone, tablet or laptop using the digital NHS COVID Pass. Work is ongoing to integrate England’s NHS App and NHS Wales systems to allow people in Wales to use it.
People can request a bilingual NHS COVID Pass letter by calling 0300 303 5667.
Notes to editors
- Information about the NHS COVID Pass can be accessed here
- Entry requirements for international travel can be checked here
- Foreign travel advice for those leaving and entering Wales can be found here
- You need to check the entry requirements of the country you intend to visit using the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office travel advice website - see https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice. In most cases, it is necessary to have evidence of a negative PCR test with or without a completed vaccination course.
- NHS COVID Pass will initially be available in English only whilst development of the bilingual service takes place. The Welsh Vaccination Certificate Service (WVCS) who issue paper certificates will continue to offer a bilingual service. Paper vaccination certificates, for people who are unable to access the digital solution, for essential international travel can be requested through WVCS by calling 0300 303 5667. Certificates are issued by post and can take up to 10 working days.
Through the Welsh Government’s Addo responsible tourism campaign we’re reminding the people of Wales and visitors from across the UK to respect each other, our communities and our land in anticipation of a busy summer ahead. visitwales.com/promise