‘A Christmas Welcome’ – First Minister launches annual Christmas Card Competition
First Minister Mark Drakeford is asking budding young artists to put their creative hats on and enter this year’s Christmas card competition.
The First Minister will choose a winning design, which will be used as his official Christmas card this year.
The First Minister sends his Christmas card to thousands of people around the world, including to His Majesty the King, to the President of the United States Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.
The competition is open to children in years five and six of primary schools across Wales.
The theme for this year’s competition is ‘A Christmas Welcome’.
Wales has welcomed thousands of people from Ukraine this year as they have fled the war in their homeland, as well as people from other countries around world seeking sanctuary and safety.
First Minister Mark Drakeford said:
“It was great to see all the cards from children all over Wales who entered the competition last year. This year, I’m looking forward to seeing my desk once again covered in brightly-coloured festive designs.
“I hope the theme ‘A Christmas Welcome’ will help children think about the part we can all play to welcome people, who need a safe place to live, to Wales.
“I’m really looking forward to seeing the results of their imaginations in my post bag.”
The closing date is midday November 28.
Email your entries to email@example.com
Notes to editors
- The closing date for the competition is midday 28 November.
- The competition is open to school-aged children in years five and six.
- All entries should be to a maximum size of A4 (210mm x 297mm)
- Entries can be in portrait or landscape orientation
- All entries should be “flat” – no uneven surfaces, no cotton wool, glitter etc.
- Bright, vibrant colours reproduce well
- Dark backgrounds should be avoided
- If you want to include text on the artwork, please ask your teacher for help with translation or use Google Translate. Here are some standard phrases: Nadolig Llawen - Merry Christmas / Cyfarchion y Tymor - Season’s Greetings. Please put Welsh first followed by English.
- Please include the child’s name and contact details with the entry
- Unfortunately we will not be able to return any entries
- Images made on a computer can be sent by email. Non-digital designs can be sent by email – please take a clear and well-lit photograph of your hard-copy design, but please keep the original artwork so you can send it in if you are successful.